Symptoms of hair loss in women during the menopause
The hair becomes thinner, falls out prematurely, the parting becomes visible or the hairline recedes – these are the classic symptoms of hair loss (alopecia). One reason for hair loss in women is androgenetic alopecia.
Hair loss due to the menopause
During the menopause the level of female hormones (estrogen) decrease. As a result, the influence of male hormones (testosterone) on the hair roots increases. This can shorten the hairs' growth phases. Androgenetic alopecia can then cause the centre parting to thin, render the scalp more visible and leave the hair feeling thinner.
This process is for the most part gradual, and becomes significantly worse during and after the menopause. Men, too, are affected by androgenetic alopecia. Whilst men can frequently suffer from a receding hairline as early as puberty, female hair does not start thinning along the parting to leave the scalp visible until the menopause. Research has shown that up to 50% of all women over 50, and indeed also younger women, experience at least slight androgenetic alopecia.
Possible manifestations of hair loss
Frequent symptoms of female hair loss:
- The hair around the parting thins
- The parting becomes bigger
- The hairline recedes
- Hair growth slows
- The hair falls out prematurely
- The hair feels thinner
- The scalp becomes visible
- The hair loses volume
- Hair loss occurs in phases
- Increased amounts of hair in your brush, on the pillow and in the shower
Do the self-test!
Do you suspect you are suffering from menopausal hair loss? There is a simple test to find this out:
Each morning after you get up, count how many hairs you find on your pillow. Brush your hair over the sink before washing your hair. Then count the number of hairs in the sink.
- 20-30 hairs: Hair loss is on the low side and is within the normal range.
- 30-100 hairs: Hair loss is elevated. The Plantur 39 products could help you to prevent hair loss during menopause.
- > 100 hairs: Hair loss is extremely high. We would recommend that you apply Plantur 39 products regularly. The products can prevent menopausal hair loss and provide the hair roots with additional energy. If hair loss is extremely high, we recommend consulting a doctor to determine the cause.*
The Plantur 39 hairoscope gives you an idea of the current condition of your hair and scalp and predicts your personal risk for hair loss.
* This result cannot replace a medical diagnosis.